Monday, December 15, 2008

A Bread Winter - Raisin Rye Bread

I've decided to bake more bread this winter. I'm going to aim for baking one loaf of bread a week, but I think that will be a difficult goal to meet.

This week, I decided to make the Raisin Rye Bread from "Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads". I'll follow up this post with a brief review of the cookbook.

I had a little trouble making the dough come together in the mixer. It seemed very wet and I kept adding flour. I shaped the dough into two baguette sized loaves. Next time I think it will be better make shorter, larger in diameter loaves, or perhaps rounds. Also, I forgot the egg wash at the end.

Aside from those issues, the bread was very good. The texture was great, the flavor was great and the crust was great even without the egg wash. It wasn't all that much effort either. I will definitely make this recipe again.

No comments: